Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring Cleaning

This Spring I have the urge to rid more than just weeds from the garden. How many habits, friendships, jobs do you feel zap your of energy? What would you do to gain that energy back? The last few weeks I have had to make some hard decisions, decisions that will hurt and upset people around me. I quit two jobs last month and I already feel that the energy that was stagnant is churning again. Without our careful attention we may end up with a garden full of energy-draining weeds.
Even more difficult than leaving a job is cutting out friends. If our friendships or relationships are more work than what we feel we receive are they worth it? Again difficult questions with no easy solutions. Just because it is difficult we still have to honour and recognize our place in this world, in our lives, we are in the captain's seat, we are steering the ship, we are ultimately responsible.
Sometimes I feel just like Arjuna in the middle of the battlefield as described in the most popular yoga text, The Bhagavad Gita. In this story, Arujuna faces difficult decisions on right and wrong and asks for God's help. In the end he is told to do his Dharma, his righteous duty and do it well, that inaction is action. I am choosing to act on behalf of my heart. I hope you also find peace in the difficult decisions we all must make on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment