Saturday, September 11, 2010

Iceberg Effect

Unlike El Nino which is a warming effect, the iceberg effect it a a chilling experience. You probably already know this but please let me put my 3 years of University to some use here. Only the tip of the iceberg is showing on the surface, one ninth to be more specific, hence "this is the tip of the iceberg" saying. I am not really relating this to physical Geography although I find that all intriguing, but instead I am referring to the mystery of life and the ways in which we see the tip and then remember and relive our problems and our past.

When I look back into the past, I recount this memories of friends and experience that I can conveniently categorize by the tip, the one person that reminds me of the other people I used to hang out with because of that one person, or the stories tied to that particular iceberg. That person only has to grace my mind in a passing thought and I remember the entire iceberg below.

The mind creates pathways through our habitual thoughts and our experiences so it makes sense that we may have a hard time seeing the big picture or we are reminded of it just by seeing that one person from our past. It doesn't depend on whether the person represents a "positive" or "negative" our minds will flashback to the past and all the sorted details of the relationship.

I remember hiding from an ex-boyfriend since I didn't want him to see me, even though I could see him, all the while I am fuming "he's this,that, ahh that one time he did this to me, and so on and on and on and on. That can go on for some time, if we let it. Then we have a Titanic situation on our hands, we see the iceberg, we are heading right for it, then boom, you know the rest. So have can we steer out minds in a new direction?

I suggest yoga, I know big surprise for some of you, but really, yoga gives us a chance to re steer our minds, habits, attitudes toward something better, like the setting sun on the ocean. Through yoga we can learn how to hold the image of a challenging person in our hearts, minds, and bodies with space, maybe even forgiveness. Easier said than done, like most yoga. It is really in the practice that we create a capacity to actually do it, without it make no mistake it is far easier to see the tip of the iceberg and then dive deep into your mind and pull out a bunch of painful stories of betrayal, hurt and abandonment.

Metta is the practice of loving kindness. It can be a way to help you move on from your past, cut the ties to that iceberg or at least admire their beauty from a distance without steering right into them. This is not something I feel can happen on your first attempt, I am quite certain it can and will take some time to learn how to steer your ship so be patient, open, soft and even forgiving toward yourself. It might help your cruise through your day a bit easier or at least without catastrophe.

happy travels and much metta!
Mindy

1 comment:

  1. Yoga has helped me steer my mind & body in a much more beautiful direction!

    ReplyDelete