Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Yoga at the Beach

I just had a great weekend with some great friends at the beach. One of the reasons I like the beach so much is that I love doing yoga in the sand. Sure you are giving up some of the stability of the floor but the sand is a soft catch if you try a new pose and fall over. I did my very first drop back on the beach and maybe some other poses too. Yesterday all three of us were in a line doing headstand, how fun?? Warning, you may get some strange looks but people are really just curious and want to know what your doing? Last Thursday we had a group of kids watching us and clapping when we did handstands and arm balances. Before you know it you will see kids and adults staring to give it a try too. I think seeing a group of adults laughing, hula hooping, spinning poi, swimming and laughing is so great for the next generation. You choose how you participate in the world so choose well and have fun :)
Blessed to have great people in my life and to live by the beach,
Mindy

3 comments:

  1. If you want to play on the beach more consider joining me on my Jungle Love Costa Rica Retreat the coming New Years. I would love to have you in my company too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I agree, Mindy. My boss, Leeann Carey says that its important to have a solid foundation to do headstand pose & you might hurt yourself if you do it in the sand. She has a free yoga video on this subject that your readers could benefit from: http://planetyoga.com/yoga-blogs/index.php/free-yoga-video-headstand-pose/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anonymous

    I agree with you but time to play like a kid is super important. We have to let loose a bit or we get so rigid. I've been doing yoga for 7 years now and the first 3 all I did was get injured. I know how to hug in and support myself and by practicing on unstable surfaces it extends into my life. The ground beneath us is never solid. I appreciate your comments though, thank you :)
    m

    ReplyDelete